Sunday, December 27, 2009

Empire State of Mind

On Sunday I woke up super early to catch a flight out of Memphis with two of my fave people in the whole wide world, Meagan and Ms. Julie to New York City! It was a fast and furious trip but it was great.


We got to Newark about 1:30 and caught a cab into the city. Our hotel was in the Garment District, so with a quick change of clothes we were off to grab a bite at the Stardust Cafe in Times Square and then on to see the TREE! After a stop by some shops we headed to Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes. They were WONDERFUL! Everyone should see a show like that before you die. From the organ music at the beginning to the Living Nativity Scene at the end it was an event to see. From the show we made our way back to the hotel to rest.


Monday we woke up ready to shop. We got all of our shopping out of the way for other people and managed to make it to Chinatown before 10. After our purchases were made in a crazy side room we headed to Little Italy for a snack. It was right past too many steps in Soho that I realized quickly we needed a cab. I see a family exiting a cab walk to secure it for us and a lady tries to steal my cab....I know can you believe that. I felt like my southern accent made them think I was made of honey, but it didn't take me too long to say REALLY? and get my cab back. I don't know if it was the bitter cold, tired feet, or jet lag, but NYC got to me and I had to bite back. With that confession out of the way we headed back to the hotel to drop off our bags and take a short nap...After waking we decided to take a stroll up Fifth Avenue and shop for Megan's prom dress and of course for ourselves. Up until this point I have failed to mention that the windchill bounced between 8 degrees and 17 degrees while we were there. It was bitterly cold. After a brief stop in Burger Heaven to regain our strength and partake in the ABSOLUTE BEST HOT CHOCOLATE EVER....we headed to FAO Schwartz for candy and then to UnderArmor for another layer of warmth. Then we headed to Central Park to check off another event off our list of things to do! Yes we went ice skating! I am not an athletic person...oh don't get me wrong...I would Love to say I was...but I am not. I try to keep up but the older I get the more I realize exactly how many things I can do to injure myself, break bones, tear up my knees...You need your knees to sit, stand, and walk. So let it be said I skated on the ice...but it was really close to the rail. After a few cute pics and 45 minutes of absolute memory making we headed to the hotel. It was worth the cab cost to take a toasty ride to the hotel.

On Tuesday we had a to do list and by lunch all but two things were checked off. Bloomingdales, Saks, J.Crew, Macy's and lots of other stores...we even added to it seeingthe FDNY in action as well as seeing a foreigner accost an innocent bystander in Macy's over food and a place to sit. After talking to my Uncle Lamar that lives in NYC we made plans to meet and see the Alvin Ailey Dance Company. I was in awe of how they moved. It was a late night with Uncle Lamar and I worried Julie and Meagan, but it was a nice evening. We flew out of NYC with a little less snow on the ground and a little more luggage, but it was one of the best vacations I have ever had.

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers