Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Weekend Update


With Cullen away in New Orleans this weekend, I had the chance to hang out with my mom. We live less than a mile apart, but honestly I really don't get to spend much time with her. Since January I have pretty much been playing nurse since she had pneumonia, then torn cartlidge, and surgery for that. This weekend with Cullen out of town we were able to catch up on some much needed craftiness. Friday we went to Tupelo to eat, then to Hancock's Fabrics to get supplies for the weekend. Mom decided to knit a baby sweater for my brother's baby coming soon, so she had to get yarn and I decided to finally branch out from the typical a-line dress that I always make to take on something new. Saturday morning I got up to rain not a pouring rain but a cold drizzle that varied in intensity. I know about the rain because I picked Saturday to debut my new fitness endeavors. I have spent each week in the gym since the new year. I have worked with weights, trainers, friends, and machines, to up my endurance and strength, all in an effort to down my size. I can not say it has been fun, but I have enjoyed being focused on something and setting goals. Leslie and I decided that Saturday would be the day we would run our first race together. It was the Lions Club 5k and it was raining and cold, but Leslie and I ran it. It was a run/walk and that is what we did. It has been said that this run is worse than the Gumtree 10k due to the hills. We laughed as we ran and we didn't look back. It was however not the fastest we have ever run, but we finished. Get this when the time sheets came around we saw that we had finished a second apart and had managed to win Gold and Silver medals. It is true we were the only girls in our age group, and that every woman older than us had better times than we did, but we still won. That was pretty histerical for us. Not everyday you can be slow and still win, but as long as your younger than the faster ones you can.


After the race I cam in to start sewing. Well after a few mumbles and grumbles I finally finished a sweet dress that had sleeves, a collar, and a pleat, three things never attempted by me before.


With that out of the way I did chores, bought groceries, and fixed dinner, just in time for Cullen to get home.

2 comments:

Wayne Carter said...

A win's a win, right?

Anonymous said...

Such a cute little purple dress! You are so crafty.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers