Monday, February 20, 2012

Life Long Learner


The University of Mississippi instills in its graduates the importance of being a life long learner.  I have always enjoyed a challenge and Cullen will tell you that I love an accomplishment.  I have a five year plan I run my life from and in my plans I am always coming up with something else to be certified in or to accomplish.  These goals do not always pertain to my school/career.  Two years ago I thought it would be a great idea to earn my Commercial Driver's License.  This fall I thought I needed to take a Hand Gun Class for Ladies.  Over the Christmas holiday I took a class on Passive Restraint Techniques so that in the event of a fight I could take a person down in five moves.  Yes, I love a class, I love to learn, but more than those I love to a certificate of recognition.  My latest class- welding.  I even conned my friend to taking it with me.  
 I found out that Lafayette Schools has a night program for community members wanting to pick up a new trade.  Since I am currently working for Lafayette my class would be free.  So guess what, I put on gloves & goggles and decided to weld.
 These would be glasses tinted at 5%.  Don't they look lovely, they make great sunglasses, I have worn them twice when I have forgotten mine in the house....stylish right?
 This was taken before I remembered the amount of hair product I use and calculated just exactly how flammable that made me. ... next I had on my lovely welding cap...she is a beauty isn't she.

 The first night our objective was to cut a straight line and make the piece of metal fall and to then cut a circle.  You better believe I have a paper weight now that I am mighty proud of.
While I don't think I will be the next Bob Villa or even weld for fun, I am excited about learning something new, possibly making a bottle tree, or signing up for the next class they offer at the VoTech.

2 comments:

Jill said...

You amaze me!!! Oh and when I was little I had a major thing for Bob!

Wayne Carter said...

A nice reflection and a challenging class, I'm sure. I'm proud of you!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers