Thursday, April 19, 2012

Forty Days without Facebook



I look forward to Lent every year.  To me it is a time to reflect on something I spend a lot of time doing or would miss and I try to give it up and use the extra time for reflection, prayer and to be honest….usually a kick start to a summer diet.  I have always seen Lent as a time to give up a food or group of foods and lose a little weight I have inevitably put on after my resolutions have gone astray.

Since I had given up carbonated beverages before Lent, I decided to give up Facebook.  I deleted the app from my phone, because I always check it when I wake up in the morning and just before I nod off to sleep at night. 

I didn’t make it the entire time with out checking it, I checked for notifications about once a week, but I did manage not to post or read the news feed the entire time. 

At first I missed not updating the world as to what was going on in my life.  I missed not posting a new sewing project once it was complete and having friends oohh and ahh, but I found myself really enjoying the extra time I found and the peace that came with not knowing everything going on around town. 

I began to feel a little proud when someone would ask…”did you see….” or “what about so and so doing ….”
I reveled in not knowing and the surprise of finding out news via good old fashion conversation.

I will admit that I remained on Twitter during this time, but even with that I was not as quick to check it and tweet. 

During my time away from Facebook I also began some new habits like cleaning my house daily a task I have always put off until completely necessary, and I began gardening.  I have definitely been more productive and more domestic without Facebook. 

I won’t say I’ll never post on Facebook again, but a week past Easter I still haven’t reinstalled the app on my phone.  I have tended to my flowers and taken several walks though.

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers