Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happiness

It has been some time since I have seen this sweet little face, so I thought y'all might like to smile, too.



Yes, their love is mutual...and I am so freakin jealous






Next on the list to make me happy....my new cook book "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" Yes many have laughed at me because reading her cookbook makes me want be a rancher's wife. I love that she homeschools her kids...not that I don't value my job in the Public Schools...I love love love my job....but if I lived on a ranch I wouldn't mind good old homeschooling...


Now there a few things that I might have to do if I lived in the middle of a ranch...like deal with animals....and as you know...I don't like to embrace nature...also it was pointed out to me that I would have to clean my own floors...which as you know...I don't do (praise the Lord for a wonderful husband and a merciful mother) Also I don't cook or eat or buy meat on a bone and I am pretty sure the Pioneer Woman does...since they raise their food...

Okay so if you get this I am not outdoorsy- but a girl can dream...right?

Back to what makes me happy because I am pretty sure none of that stuff in the last paragraph does lets move on. I love my cookbook and the Woman's recipe for Peach Crisp with Maple Cream Sauce....oh my..


Ingredients
5 whole To 6 Whole Fresh Peaches (best When Not Overly Ripe Or Soft)
1 cup Flour
½ cups Sugar
½ cups Light Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
½ teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
½ teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
¼ teaspoons Salt
1 stick Butter (1/2 Cup)
½ whole Lemon
7 Tablespoons Real Maple Syrup, Divided
1-½ cup Whipping Cream
3 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup

Preparation Instructions
In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt using a fork or pastry cutter. Cut butter into small pieces and gradually add to flour mixture until evenly mixed.
Peel peaches into a bowl. (I used a bag of frozen peaches- great value- and I just thawed them in a microwave safe bowl)Add the zest from half a lemon. (I used a little bit of Lemon Juice- not fresh squeezed) Squeeze juice from lemon half and stir in with peaches and zest. Add 2 tablespoons real maple syrup to peaches, stir well.
Pour peach mixture into a small pan (8” or 9” square) and cover evenly with crumb topping. Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until crisp and brown on top.
Maple Cream Sauce: ( Just keep this on hand you will want to drink this with a straw)
Pour whipping cream into a saucepan. Add 5 tablespoons real maple syrup, 3 tablespoons corn syrup and stir over moderate heat until thickened and reduced by about one-third, (be patient this will take time) approximately 15 minutes. Refrigerate mixture until it is cold and thick, or set the saucepan into a small bowl of ice (the ice will melt and turn into ice water). Stirring your mixture, it will cool and thicken in about 15 minutes. Drizzle sauce over peach crisp. Serve warm.






Next time I make this I will make a double recipe...one recipe is not enough...especially if you have to share.


I should add that this very recipe could be the reason I gained two pounds on my diet. I would not say for certain, but will say it is a possibility.


And since I am stating things that make me happy...let's go with my latest shoe purchase...I think anyone with feet needs these shoes...I LOVE LOVE LOVE them


Would you like to hear how we met...my shoes and me? I thought you might....so it was love at first sight, I'll admit it.


Picture this romantic setting...seriously...it was in Dallas on New Year's Day, I had awakened that morning with high hopes for what the day held. I donned my Christmas Jessica Simpson's boots, referred to from here on out as the towering boots of death or TTBOD. It was the perfect outfit for a visit to the Grassy Knoll. TTBOD trampled on what was left of the Grassy Knoll, they walked me through Downtown Dallas and even made my toes think they were no longer on my feet...As I walked through the mall I realized that TTBOD were not friends with my feet...in fact there was a war going on between the two...each fighting for valuable space for my toes. Well, as my feet tried to swell, squish, and play nice....TTBOD did not play fair...they squeezed and pinched and as everyone knows...pinching is not allowed in war...right? Well, somebody tell TTBOD.

Into Dillard's I marched. Innocent bystanders had no clue war was being waged only inches away from them...and if a truce was not going to be called soon fatalities would occur. Praise the Lord I spotted a pair of shoes that looked comfortable

No...not just comfortable, they looked like an oasis, a wellspring in the desert...did I mention when my feet were hurting so badly they also did that burning...pain...aghhhh!!!

Just as I almost waved a white flag...the sales clerk said, "yes, this is your size" I am not telling a fib when I say at that moment...the heavens opened and the angels sang the Hallelujah Chorus... or I may have been humming it...I don't know which, anyway Once the transaction was made...I bypassed introductions and flung those TTBOD into the bag and to date they are still grounded...until they decide to be more comfortable.

As for my new best shoes...I have found myself wearing them all day everyday, they are truly a perfect pairing with my tired teacher toes!

2 comments:

Wayne Carter said...

Boots of death? You know those dress boots of mine that you like...well,it took me a good year to get them worn enough to be comfortable. Maybe you should buy a shoe stretcher, if you want to keep the boots around for a few years but don't want to have to break them in. By the way, where were the new "boats" made...Holland?

Barbara said...

Fi, I was just catching up. I have been busy voting the past couple of days. Have you voted today, and tomorrow, and the next? Pepsi Refresh?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers