Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Willie



So I have always loved country music...old/new doesn't matter. Once in college I got a discount on a new muffler because the mechanic said he never got in cars in Oxford that had country playing...random I know...truth be told the next song on the cd might have been rap, christian, or something from the 70's you just never know...
Well, in May my uncle bought my aunt tickets to see Willie Nelson. I made the comment that I would love to see him...he said he had bought four tickets and that my cousin was going and the fourth ticket could be mine...I took him up on the offer and steadily waited for the concert to be cancelled...Willie is known for not showing up for his gigs...Well in true form...he didn't...the concert was postponed and on December 8th...I carpooled with the family up to Corinth to enjoy a night with Willie. He opened the show up with Whiskey River and played every other song I associated with him...Crazy, On the Road Again, Blue Eyes Cryin in the Rain, Don't let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys, Beer for my Horses, Always on My Mind...and many more.
We had third row seats and were really close...close enough a good zoom could get a great picture...but about that great picture...Willie is old...really old. And in my mind I knew him as a Legend...but good gracious...he walked out and I was taken aback by just how old he looked...he work New Balance shoes...for comfort I'm sure, his knuckles were big probably due to a little bit of arthritis, and his hair gray...But in his sleeveless shirt his old arms just kinda grossed me out. I mean don't get me wrong...he is WILLIE...and he put on a solid hour and a half of music...no talking ...just picking and singing... but age has not been good to our dear friend...of course his habits may have also taken a toll on Mr. Willie, too. Regardless of his habits, his wrinkles, or his New Balance shoes, he was great...and I can mark seeing Willie Live on stage off my Bucket List.
Doesn't Jason look so happy...he really was...the picture just doesn't show it...Cullen was even happier not being at the concert...as he is NOT a Willie fan---bless his heart!

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers