Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Case of the Missing Cans

On Friday morning as I loaded my car for school with cakes and teacher bags...I made one last trip from the house-down the front steps- and to my vehicle...I noticed a man across the street. For many this is not an odd event, but let me explain that in my neighborhood, I am the only one. I live in the middle of downtown Pontotoc, across the corner from the church, behind the shoe store, next to the salon, near the post office- across the street from my house is the Habitat for Humanity office. I note that the man is picking up a bag of cans...this is odd...because most leave bags of cans to donate to Habitat.
I quickly do what all Southern women do...smile and wave and make small talk...all the while making observations...older gentleman, purple shirt, maroon truck,
As he nears my suv, I extend my hand introduce myself and begin questioning him...hey, How are you? What are you doing? "I'm on the BOARD of HABITAT I'm ON TO YOU-THIEF!"
He told me he was picking up cans helping a man...well, he could have been hired out by Father Pete, the retired priest who helps the affiliate. I let it go, get his tag number and immediately call my aunt, the executive director or Habitat. She knows nothing of it but says she will check. Well, I was FURIOUS...how dare someone steal from a non profit group...
After school was over I check in with my aunt to find out that no he was NOT being charitable...he was stealing. So here in Mayberry I found the closest cop...he just happened to be on my way to the Piggly Wiggly. I ask how his family is and get busy telling him my story. He takes the tag number and name the guy gave me...and says he'll call me. I am skeptical because he doesn't have my number...Not an hour later he calls me and asks me to come identify the bag of cans. They are now in my living room. I'm waiting for the office to open so I can drop them off tomorrow. Way to go Pontotoc Po-Po! Turns out the truck was borrowed from the old man's brother, he made a call and got the cans delivered within the hour to the station.
I'm wondering what is WRONG with people. How can they so blatantly steal from others. Just call me Nancy Drew...of the neighborhood watch.

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers