Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Teacher Conference 2011


While Mandy Maffett did not go to the beach with us...we found her and the crew at Lulu's
The first morning after school was out the car was packed and four teachers were on the road at four a.m. to head to the beach. I was the youngest by 22 years, but at the beach age doesn't matter...right? We made it to the sand and the sun by 12:00 we soaked up about 4 hours and then with clouds coming we headed in to hit Target and eat at LuLu's.
The next morning, slathered in SPF we hit the beach for an all day Tanning Session. We moved from sitting, to sleeping, to the water, and back to the chairs. It was a relaxation marathon and was FANTASTIC.

I had a moment where I realized I watched too much CSI or Law & Order on a quick trip to the room the first day we were there. I ran to the room to gather snacks for the group. I left my cell phone with my towel and things on the beach. Armed with only my key I headed to the room. I am gathering up items to take back down as I sit down at my computer to check the time and my email...there is a knock at the door...thinking it was probably my friends, I head to the door. I note that there was no peep hole on the door as I crack the door open. To my surprise I see a man with dark hair, about 6'3'', 240lbs., tattoo on both arms, but dressed in what seemed to be an official looking blue polo shirt. In his hands he held a tool box & a air conditioner filter. Surprised as I stand in my swimsuit he says he is with the monthly maintenance of the place and needs to replace the filter....this is the moment I get stupid....I let the fruit loop into the condo...the whole time thinking about my phone I have left on the beach...I begin to freak out...my jewelry is on the night stand...our purses with vacation money...oh my gosh...how dumb could that have been...I imagine the news headlines--TEACHER KILLED ON VACATION....really...how could I have not thought about this more....so I do what a smart teacher would do...as I stand in the kitchen pretending to eat/snack...I take out two butcher knives and grip them...like what am I gonna do...stab him in the neck...I watch him change out filters and then try to call it in...or whatever they do...and he says "did you know your phone was dead" ---um...no, I didn't know that when you try to kill me later I won't be able to call for help...So he grabs his tool box...the old filter and heads to the door...as he comes closer I clutch the knives...thinking...the whole time I'm a goner...and then he leaves...whew...I didn't have to defend myself with my martial arts/knife wielding skills like I thought I would need to, PRAISE the LORD. Note to self...do not let strangers into your condo...
We repeated the next day-minus SPF to my back which has left me with a whole lot of redness a little bit of tenderness, and thinking to myself...when will I ever learn? I let no strangers into the condo...and apparently I didn't let myself in their much at the look of my back...
Sunday morning we headed home. It was a great time with friends in the sun. I hope to have a repeat 'conference' in the future.


1 comment:

Wayne Carter said...

The maintenance man part of this story is pretty scary. Try to avoid getting into that kind of situation again, please!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers