Monday, May 9, 2011

Oh My

I am sure that many times after I write a story about my mom many of you are left confused... She is just one of a kind. Well, I am becoming my mother and that realization humbles me often.
Yesterday I tried and tried to call her before church to tell her Happy Mother's Day- her phone went straight to voice mail- and each time I was just a bit mad- you see my Mom and phones are a bit of a joke in the family. She must have been able to say and get away with lots as a child because she says and honestly believes some of the craziest things-- for example-
She is losing her hearing and so she swears that the phone she had two phones ago had to 'warm up' when someone called her before she could hear them- really?? Warm up!? It was possible she was taking a nap and startled- or that her tv was at maximum volume- buy no just that phone had to warm up.
In January 2010 she had to have a new phone- I take her to the store to get one and she looks at all the options- and really thinks she needs a flip phone- yes I got rid of one of those five years ago, but my mom the eternal Trekie- you know Star Trek- thought the looked like something futuristic so she called it her 'beam me up Scotty phone'. Yes she called it that loudly in front of lots of folks- oh dear me.
That phone was just perfect she learned to text and take pictures, but just knew she needed an iPhone next time- I continued to say what a great texter she was and her camera pics were just great- no way no how did she need or was I teaching her to use an iPhone---
At Choir she announced yesterday that her phone she found sitting in a cup of coffee- she didn't know how it got there, but she was sure it had been there a long time-really???? I was instantly reminded of the sudden death of my pink razor phone that I told Cullen had spontaneous hydration and I wasn't sure how the water and the battery met??? Yikes! But I NEEDED and iPhone-
So I take her to the store and meet the clerk at the kiosk and say to be patient with my mom she is NOT tech savvy'. It was a painless experience, I kept moms questions at bay and got her fixed up with the new Blackberry Torch- it really is a neat phone- the girl said it had a two week learning curve- I told mom who didn't hear her the first time she said two months-
We exit the store no odd questions- we get in the car and mom starts asking about whether she needs to download an upgrade or upload something!? I quickly told her not to talk like she knows how to use it just yet- she was so happy to have Internet on her phone and was most happy to now get pics of her grandbaby- it's the little things that make her happy.
She only accidentally called me twice last night- God Bless Her!
So tonight I'll have another tutorial for her and help usher her into the smartphone era..

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers