Monday, June 20, 2011

Pet People


     I have said it before- I am NOT an animal person.  I grew up with my dad as Dr. Dolittle, we had the Animal Kingdom right outside our back door.  Raccoons, deer, dogs, geese, guineas, ducks, fish, a porcupine, peacocks, cats, chickens, roosters & many other animals from time to time.  I have a respect for animals but think it is kinda ridiculous in my opinion to spend money on them.  I know I'm selfish and cold hearted, but I can have my own opinion...it's my blog :)  Cullen was raised with lots of cats and dogs.  Even though he is extremely allergic he took medicine to deal and petted them anyway.
We were not the animal kind of family.  I don't like that type of responsibility.  I don't want to have to find a sitter or wake up to let them out...I'm selfish...
     A little over a year ago Pollyanna, a disabled cat I have posted about before came up around the house.  Cullen decided to feed her...and with that we had a pet.   She was an outside cat and Cullen took care of her, I was OK with that.  Then when the cold winter months were upon us he took to letting her into the house just to knock the chill off and then we would put her back out.  
     Well, that crazy cat loves him, and not being a responsible parent to a stray cat we didn't not get her to the vet as we should have...and guess  what...she got herself into a little situation and we had four baby kittens on Easter.  Bless her- It took us three days to find the kittens.  Once we found them messing with them led to her moving them.  It took another two days to find them.  Cullen worried and worried about if they would get eaten or get too cold...so he moved them inside the house in a box.  We ooh and ahhed over them for a couple of days and then Polly moved them again.  This time she moved them into Cullen's man cave and I let her because I could shut the door and they would stay.  After weeks of watching them grow, and learn to play they became mobile and didn't stay hidden.  In the last three weeks they took to running all over the den, playing and pouncing.  They all started out with sweet innocent names...Flopsy, Mopsy, Doodle, & Milo.  We then named them for their personality traits.  Flopsy became Skiddish, Milo became Fearless, Mopsy became Favorite and Doodle- Cullen affectionately called her Can't Get Right...because she was little 'special.'
     Having to go back to school I knew Cullen would become lax about putting them away and keeping them up...he is a softy he just wants them to be happy.  Yeah well, I HATE animal hair, I don't like the extra cleaning, and I can not stand the extra work.  So after my first week away I came home to a mess, animal hair was everywhere, they were learning to use kitty litter but the maintenance of that was just awful, and they had NO boundaries.  SO I called my mother in law and said HELP.  I was all for taking them to a shelter.  I know what happens at shelters, but I don't really get emotionally attached to them...Cullen and his mom do.  So being the saint she is she came and got them last Friday and took them to new homes....all except one.  Cullen's favorite was not the favorite of the rest and so we have one left that he says we will keep.  I don't know about all of that as long as she stays outside when school starts back I don't care, but I am not an animal inside the house kinda of gal.  He has named her Stella and she loves him.  While she bats at my hands and feet, she snuggles up next to him to take a nap.  So Polly and Stella have now become Pollard Pets.    

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers