Sunday, April 28, 2013

Double Decker A Year Later

A year ago I was walking the Double Decker 5k with my friend Kim and that Saturday was ending a pretty terrible week.  Earlier in that semester I had begun a fitness regime of eating right and walking, I even titled it 40 days of Fitness, but the week leading up to the Double Decker 5k was an odd week.  For the purpose of documenting this beautiful life, I am going to blog about this week, about God's goodness, and his grace to his faithful.  The weekend before Double Decker at the prompting of a friend I took a pregnancy test...and I saw a faint line.  Monday and Tuesday of that week I was still unbelieving and was dealing with an awful cold and still faint positive lines.  On Wednesday I was determined to get better and get to the bottom of the possible baby news, so I went to Student Health, since I was a full time student.  They did a blood test to check my white blood count and I asked them to check my HCG level just to make sure I was in fact not pregnant.  And my friend's sweet mom, said Oh YES, I definitely was.  I was reeling with emotion and couldn't think of how I would break the news to Cullen.  So I did, and he was surprised and shocked and happy...and the next day I started spotting and our baby news was not so good news.  I was determined that I would not mourn or slow down, I would be okay.  And so on Friday after the senior picnic I had helped to organize, I went to interview for the job I now have, with the administrators I now work with.  And the entire time they were asking me questions I was fighting back tears, and I was thankful for a cold where I could claim watery eyes and a hoarse voice as the cause.  That night I went home and cried and went to bed early, and the next morning I woke up determined to be okay and determined to walk the Double Decker.

I did, and a year later I walked that same race.  The weather was not as nice as the year before, but the company was so nice, and my mind was not racing like last year with fear of infertility or issues or emotions. This year I walked with two friends who kept me laughing the entire time.  We laughed because Mrs. Babb moved at a snail's pace 'cause as she said, "I've been sick you know?"
We cut the race short after the 400 pound people passed us, and the police car nipped at our heels and finally at our prompting passed us.
 No, we weren't racing with the most physically fit, we weren't racing for a purpose, we raced for fun.  It didn't take too long after we detoured to make sure we had our race bibs concealed and we were on to shopping for shoe deals and art for ourselves. 
 A Year Later I left Double Decker with a determination to make it home to my bouncing baby boy before his nap time.  Our God is good.  His plan is perfect and his timing is precisely what we need when we need it.  

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers