Friday, July 26, 2013

Death to the Jessicas



I think it fitting that on the day of my 30th birthday, my favorite shoes of my twenties, my Jessicas, broke. 
My 30th started like all my summer mornings, up during the night with the baby.  Rushing around getting ready for my day at work and getting all my ducks in a row mentally before leaving the house.  The babysitter called at 6:30 and let me know she couldn’t keep kids that day. Cullen made a quick call and his grandmother was delighted to keep Jett.
Out the door I raced and headed to school.  I looked down at school and noticed my shoe, my favorite shoe, was off a bit.  Yes, the shoes I have loved for years, my go to shoes, my Jessicas were broken.  The beautiful faux wood platform had split. They were wearable, but not for long. 
I know many read this and think they were just shoes.  These shoes had a story, these shoes were more than feet coverings, more than a great accessory, these shoes were the ones I had on when my pre child fun loving nights happened, they went with black and brown and every color in between.  These shoes from the moment they were bought brought every mood up about ten degrees. 
The Jessicas were bought during the 2011 blizzard.  Long after the snows had begun to melt but we were still out of school, Leslie and I headed to Tupelo for a day of shopping.  Standing in the middle of T.J. Maxx, there they were on the shelf.  They had a pair in her size and mine.  It was one of those moments like in a movie, where the skies part and the Glory of the Lord shines down.  Well, I’m not saying the Lord, himself, ordained the purchase of them, but oh how perfect they were in everyway.
These shoes, were my go to shoes, Leslie, and I talked about them as if they were good friends.  They are to date the only Jessica Simpson shoes I’ve ever owned that didn’t KILL my feet.  Remember New Year’s of 2009 I posted about the towering boots of death…dear ole’ Jessica created them. 
So as I looked down on my birthday and saw my well-worn shoe, had finally taken her final steps, I was saddened.  My favorite shoe of my twenties bit the dust on the day my thirties began.  Let’s all pray that isn’t an omen for my next decade of life.

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers