Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mad Dog's Marriage


Years ago when I started working at Chaney's in college, there was a feisty red head that worked as a tech.  She was mean as a yard dog or so I thought and she was mater of fact and seemed to snap at everyone.  After working with her for about six months I realized and so did she, that neither of us were going to quit anytime soon.  I can't pinpoint the day but I remember us beginning to joke about her very blunt way with words. I joked with her that she was so mean, because she didn't get to play outside as a child and she must have had to sit behind the screen door and watch the neighborhood kids play, and as we laughed and talked about the scenario I began to call her MadDog.  It's okay she still affectionately calls me Downtown.  And after seven years together I left Chaney's and she remained.  
She called me several months back and asked if I would help her with her wedding, apparently it is my new hobby, I said sure...then she sent me pictures of the cakes she wanted made.  I got nervous, I ignored the email, and I thought she might forget about me.  She didn't, and in the agreeing to bake and decorate her cakes I talked myself into directing her wedding.  It was my second wedding to direct this summer, and I must say I LOVE doing it.  I have a knack for telling people what to do.  Ask any of my close friends, I can mandate really well.  I also love an event, so when you pair the two together I just get giddy.  

 The wedding was at the Lyceum, a first for me.  


 Elise, Carl and Me.  I could tell several really funny stories, but since somethings are better left as a memory and not documented forever on the internet, I'll just say that these girls, both former Chaney's girls, fill many of my college memories.
The weather could not have been more perfect.  The threat of storms passed and for July it was almost cool.  
 
The Groom's Cake.

The Bride's Cake.  The reception was at South Side Gallery on the Square.  I made it to the gallery just after four to put the cake together.  I was thinking the cake would be tucked away at the back of the gallery not displayed in the middle of the front window.  I began to sweat and get nervous, and my mom was with me and when we get nervous she begins to get chatty, I begin to get snappy and we both grin and work really quickly.  Before I stepped out of the house my mom told me my dress was entirely to short.  I heard it about 50 more times before making it into the Oxford City Limits.  For a minute, I thought about changing, but I didn't have time.  I didn't have another option and I reminded her I have worn this dress about a ten times before and she didn't say a word.  I had a moment during assembly of the cake that I thought I wish I had listened to my mother, worrying my reaching my expose me to the people passing by, it didn't but I mentally noted to not wear said dress again.



And surprisingly this is only the second time since having Jett that Cullen and I have had a date.  I know I know I'm that crazy mom, but why have kids if you can't be with them. Hopefully the time will come that I'm not a helicopter parent, but for now, until he walks down the aisle I think I'll just stay close....really really close. 

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers