Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Turning 30 and some Randomness

Okay, so I turned 30 and I was really looking forward to some big life plans.  But in my 30th year I had a baby and I quickly realized that after a baby.  My birthday was just not gonna be that important from hear on out.  I, who loves a party and specifically my birthday week long party, caught myself texting a friend that it was...and I quote... "Just another day."  I have never in 29 years said that about a birthday, especially mine.  So to set a positive note to my thirtieth, I decided to attempt to do 30 Random Acts of Kindness before my birthday.  I was LOVED doing these and hope to do them again around Christmas or Thanksgiving.  
 Here is my list
1-5-I wrote several letters to friends.  Some were to encourage, some were to just keep in touch and some were to congratulate.
6-7 - I took two bags of clothing to the Salvation Army
8- I left a card and money for the car behind me at the Happy Day Cafe so someone could enjoy a free mocha on me.  In return the lady at the window upsized my small to a large as a way to pass it on.  
9-11 - I took sidewalk chalk to a local daycare.  My friend donated three boxes of this so a big thank you to her for helping.
12-13 Donuts.  I bought a dozen and delivered them to our city hall employees.  I also bought a dozen for the car behind me in line at the shop.  (I would encourage you to have a native English speaker at the window when you try to explain the idea.  I didn't and I'm still not sure if the girl understood what to do.  I just crossed my finger and prayed.)


 By the time I got home from the first few, a friend had posted this on Instagram.  How funny that it came full circle so quickly.
 14-15 I hired out my younger friends to help me with yard work.  They were awesome.
 16-17 I made birthday bags and took to the local food pantry.  I know that sometimes the local food pantry does well to make sure they have the staples to give people, but a cake and icing would sure make the day of a child.
18- I took cupcakes to the men that pump gas for me at the local full service gas station.  I really love them and my hair does to in the Mississippi humidity.  

19- I adopted a secret pen pal this summer.  A little girl I once baby sat has grown up now, and went to work at a church camp.  The entire month of June I mailed her happies and clues to try and figure out exactly who might be sending her little trinkets.  It was the MOST fun.  (I did call her mom and let her know so she would not worry about a stalker.)
20.  I found out that the sister to secret pen pal received the honor of teacher of the year after only her first full year of teaching.  I made and sent her a pillow to congratulate her.
21.  I made cake push pops and delivered them to the church staff.
22-23.  I took food to my friend's husband who had his Gall Bladder taken out.  He loves my potato soup so I made him a bowl.  I also took a bowl to my dad.

I didn't quite make it to 30.  I'm okay with it.  I gave a good try at it and had a lot of fun coming up with things to do and how to fit them into my schedule.  

My birthday was spent at home celebrating Jett's half birthday.  My friends were too kind to me in the gift department and I received much more than I deserve.  One of my gifts is a blog waiting to happen...so just wait until November.

1 comment:

Wayne Carter said...

Excellent idea. I'm proud of you.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers