Monday, March 18, 2013

Maternity Leave

So I must confess, the maternity leave I had planned in my mind and the one that took place have been very different from one another.

Here are some truths from my maternity leave.
* I wore the same five t-shirts and pairs of yoga pants for the last seven weeks.  While I didn't buy maternity clothing during pregnancy, I was super excited to be comfortably back in my comfy clothing.  I enjoyed every day of wearing my hair in a pony tail, wearing pj's until 3:00 p.m.
* Transitioning from Oxford lunches ordered out to quick bites between tending to a newborn was a wake up call.
* Adult conversation is a necessary component to my survival.
* If I were to be a stay at home mom I know without a doubt I would develop a severe case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
* I realized I will never lay my head on a pillow to sleep that I don't first worry about the baby.
* I learned eating empty handed is a luxury.
* Sewing for my own little one is more rewarding than sewing for others.
* I may have developed carpal tunnel syndrome from the use of my smart phone just in my time away from work.
* I believe more so than ever before, the human body is an absolutely amazing work of God.
* Sleep deprivation is real, and for people that suffer from it, I feel truly sorry.
* I will most likely never operate my daily life without a schedule ever again.

Let me give you a break down of how the 8 weeks played out.
Week One- Hospital Stay & Coming Home- basic adjustment- still new and medicated.
Week Two- Cullen was back at work and Cabin Fever- Late Night Feedings and Lack of adult conversation almost made me batty
Week Three- Fresh Air on a walk made my week + a trip to Wal-Mart made me feel human again.
Week Four- Feeding became easier and I began Operation Cry It Out
Week Five- On top of the World now that I had a baby that slept four extended periods of time, and I opted to no longer sleep in the same room with him.
Week Six- Life became more balanced, I ventured back into my sewing room.
Week Seven- Jett's personality came out more and more and I almost wanted to extend my leave.
Week Eight- Time flew by as I readied myself to be a working mom.  I also was able to see how being a single parent would be, when Cullen went out of town for three days.

It was a quick eight weeks, and I worried about life happening outside of my little nest, but I tried to enjoy the daily changes our sweet baby.

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers