Monday, December 10, 2012

Insta Rudolph Run

 The Pontotoc Woman's Club hosted the third annual Rudolph Run the second weekend in December.  This is the first one that I have actually walked in...I know perfect timing at 8 months pregnant.  My friend Molly, who had a baby in September, was dying to walk it this year.  So I said, I will do what I can and we registered.  That was before I knew the race went up Happy Hollow the absolute worst hill in Pontotoc.  At a mile I thought I would die after booking it up Happy Hollow.  At mile 1.5 I called it a day, and decided I should stick to flat ground.
My cousin Darla, just announced she and her husband are expecting and was smart enough to work the race rather than participate.
This race is special, because a few years ago when our local club had the state president as a member, we held her reception in Tupelo, and our club was in charge of the luncheon.  As we stood around and watched the meetings and proceedings, many of us talked of fundraising ideas.  I will never forget, that it was Carla Chism and I in the back of the meeting throwing around ideas when the idea came up of a run.  Knowing that Tupelo did a Jingle Bell Jog that was semi-successful, I threw out the idea of a Christmas run, and Carla threw out the name.  We pitched it in a semi- informal way to the vice president and three years later it is a done deal.  It is one of the clubs largest fundraisers to date.  Now, I must say that after one year on the committee for the race I quickly gave up my position.  It was all strategized during one of my busiest years of school and work and I felt utterly overwhelmed by the 742 emails a day about things and I threw in the towel.  I hope that one day I will tell my little one that I helped in the starting of this race that has lasted for years, but I know my limitations with planning and prepping and it was nice to go to the race and come home this year.  The weather was pleasant and I look forward to strolling a little one next year.

No comments:

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers