Friday, June 26, 2009

The Stair Situation

I know many of you may have forgotten about our little stair situation. Guess What! It is alive and still a little bit of a situation. Yesterday, after prodding from my mom, I got back on the case. I called our realtor and asked if we had surveyed our land when we bought the house, being a city lot she said no. She however pointed me to city hall and the city inspector. I called city hall and got the scoop on where exactly I needed to begin measuring to measure out my the lot adjoining mine. Guess what....the stairs on MINE. you heard it here first the landing from the building to the stairs, they possibly belong to the people but the actual stairs are mine. I next called the building inspector who let me know that NO the peeps didn't have a permit, because it is not required for just a staircase....but guess what.... our building code in town says that all structures must be at least one foot off the property line. If the Mossy Oak Company assumed our fence was the property line....which they did....they would have to build the structure one foot from the fence. They didn't so now the staircase wasn't built to code. Two Strikes against Mossy Oak Properties. I can not say that I was excited to present them with my information. I don't like confrontation like that, but I can say that I did stand my ground and loved every minute when the faces of the two I talked with dropped when I used words like- not up to code, city inspector, encroachment, attorney, liability, property value.... It is not over, it probably isn't close to over. It might possibly get expensive, but I stood my ground today, and have now very politely passed it off to Cullen to deal with from here on out. As I left they continued to say we will talk about this, and let us think about it....I told them it is non negotiable.... To Be Continued

3 comments:

The Jones Family said...

Good for you! Tell them to give you some of their property and you can get over the stairs!

Felicia said...

great idea!

Dani said...

Good for you! I was wondering what happened.

I think it's great for a young lady to be able to stand their ground and let others know they are not going to be run over!

Nice job!

www.icrafty.com

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers